Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dumaguete: Awesome Apo Island Trip

May 15-17, 2010








If you’re really not so close with the people you’re travelling with and it’s a free trip, you might as well have a blast and make sure you have a book, charged mobile and huge memory card for your camera. Another 3days and 2 nights free ride, this time around in Dumaguete, exact destination…Apo Island Resort. I’m off with people from work, and most of them…not really my travelling buddy type.
It was the annual company outing, I was excited about the trip, sad about the dates (the last day of the trip (17th) was my son’s 9th birthday, it was devastating but since I know I could still make it on his birthday...that matters and nothing else...well, maybe a nice tan) We left Manila bound on the earliest flight to Dumaguete at 7:05am. We arrived and were transferred to 3 vans waiting for us to take us to the ferry port which will take for another 30 minutes ride to get to the resort. The moment we got off the van we were greeted by huge waves…I saw worried faces, and some popping anti dizziness pill. The motorized banca was big, I didn’t have to worry a thing, it could fit 20 people on it (we were 19, plus 3 banca crew) The trip took a little longer than 30 minutes because of the waves, but you could almost see the island as if it’s just really close.



We arrived in the resort with the breathtaking view of the place, the water turning clear green to deep blue, we could see fishes when we were still on the boat. With 3 girls, we were assigned in the room called Lower Triton. The best view of all…well at least for me, but ours was the only nipa hut and by the looks of the rooms…theirs look waaaay better (later I’m thankful that we got that room…the breeze comes right inside the hut, no tuko or gecko and its located right under the shade of the mountain so it’s comforting to have that kind of ambiance unlike the rest). The Apo Island Resort is small and I immediately feel the serenity of my official vacation when I changed into my new pair of hot Roxy swimsuit. Within our stay, we were able to swim with the fishes, weird sea creatures, sea snakes, explore the clown fish village and see Nemo 10,000 times, watched and be amazed of live corals in different shades, fishes with weird faces…and long noses, but the awesome thing that happened to me when I was there…I got to swim with tortoise! Large ones! I chase and took their picture…and our guide, Ruel even took my picture while I go and try to get closer with a tortoise. It was an amazing experience for me…What more if you get to swim with Butandings in Sorsogon?!!!
I was amazed on how rich the island of the marine life. Compared to Boracay and the other commercialized beach resorts, Apo Island offers a lot to diving and snorkeling enthusiast. Don’t get me wrong, I love Boracay for its powdery white sand, beautiful people and the attitude it brings to your stay there, but Apo Island gives me you that feel-good feeling. I was sitting by one of the beach chairs outside our nipa hut wearing a smile of amazement thinking ‘am I really in the Philippines?’ You can’t help not to promote our country when you see places like that, you just feel proud that we have that here, but most of the beautiful resorts are owned by foreigners which can be sad too. I still hope my retirement plan will push through, there’s only two: living life to the most healthy way by owning a farm and having the privilege of squeezing your own tomato sauce straight from your garden…or wearing your hot pair of swimsuit and a permanent tan lines for the rest of your beach life.



For more info about the rates and resort, please click on the link: www.apoislandresort.com


For more pictures on this trip please check: http://islandermaui.multiply.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment